Learning unit #3: The Brain
This unit was by far my hardest one to create. I was trying really hard to keep my units within the subject of science for a high school level. I started running out of tools to use and had to really look into what was left on our class list that could effectively be used to teach students about the brain. This one required a lot of time playing around on the sites to find ways to manipulate them and really integrate them in an engaging manner that allowed for learning.
Tagul, worked as a great introductory tool. The way I used it in my unit, really allowed students to become familiar with the new vocabulary that would be introduced along with this unit and its lesson. Also, while engaging with the vocabulary and the terminology, it allows students the opportunity to be creative and add a personal touch by providing different colors for the fonts, and by allowing students to customize their image. I found this to be a really easy and non-stressful way to ease students into a lesson.
The first tool I utilized in a project for this unit was Capzles. I originally thought it would be cool because metaphorically, our brains are our own little time capsules. This tool was great because it allows you to pick important images, attach descriptions, and organize the items in the capsule as one may see fit. The main struggle I had with this site was the organization part. I am not quite sure if it was the computer I was using at the time or the actual site, but the process of actually moving things around and putting them into the order that I wanted them to be was fairly difficult because the items sometimes would just not easily be dragged around in the capsule.
Thinkercad was used for the second project in this unit. This tool is very interactive and has the great potential to keep its users engaged. It can be used to make three-dimensional images, that could then possibly be printed using a 3-D printer. It’s a really great way to demonstrate to your students how their ideas have the possibility of coming to life. This tool had endless possibilities but it is challenging. I had to play around with it a lot to really find a way to create the image of the brain. I was looking at the examples others had made on the site, and they are very impressive. This tool definitely has a place inside of a science classroom and can potentially be used to show models of body parts and so much more. This tool requires a lot of patience, practice, and time. I recommend anyone who plans to use this teaches their class how to really use this tool so they can really get the best use out of it.
The last tool used for this unit was PowToon. I used it to allow students the opportunity to focus on one particular thing that is connected to the unit topic. It can be used to show ideas in a fun, interactive, appealing way. This tool is a creative alternative to Microsoft PowerPoint. It has more of a slideshow element that when played, makes you feel like you could be watching a short infomercial of some sort. It has many features and is easy to use. Some downsides though are that the presentation could potentially take some time to load, and most of its best features are only available if you upgrade to a paid subscription.
Overall, my experience with becoming familiar with these tools and using them was successful, but a struggle at times. These tools can be used in a variety of ways way beyond how they were used in this unit. I look forward to using them and incorporating them in an engaging way for students to enjoy in my classroom.
Hello,
ReplyDeleteI love PowToons and my students love it as well (after using it for this course and now I am using it in my classroom). I've never heard of Tagul or Thinkercad so I will definitely be checking out those websites soon.
Thanks for sharing,
Nick