Learning Unit #1: Eukaryotic Cells

My first learning unit for a 10th-grade Biology class started off as a challenge. There were so many tools to choose from. Picking which ones would really enhance learning about eukaryotic cellular organisms.
To start off my unit, I thought it would be really important to see what my students already knew. Using Kahoot was great because it allowed for me to challenge the student's past knowledge while testing their ability to answer questions about the new material they would be learning. I think it works as a great tool that can keep students engaged from the very beginning of my unit.

The first project in this unit required students to use the site, Easel. For this assignment, students had to create an informative poster on either an animal cell or a plant cell. They had to include facts and labels of organelles, as well as the definitions of the organelles found in their cells. Students also had to make sure their informative posters were visually appealing using various colors, images, fonts and utilizing the many creative features available on the site. I found this site to be great. I definitely see myself utilizing this site for future projects and assignments where students may have to also create a poster for a presentation project. The site is free, which is an added bonus. The site is very versatile and has great potential. I did however find it to be a bit tricky to use at first because of how the options and buttons on the page were laid out. I did think it would be a lot easier to use than it really was, but after some practice and playing around on the site, I was able to figure it out.

My favorite tool used in this unit was Thinglink. This site is absolutely amazing!!! I cannot stress this enough! Thinglink allows you to insert an image and use it as a poster. It then lets you apply pins all over the image that when touched by the computer mouse or when clicked on, reveals facts and data that you have entered. Students would really enjoy making this. Also, it creates a cool interactive way for students to apply the information they are learning in class and create amazing study material. For this unit, students would choose an image of a cell, opposite of the one used in the first project, add pins over the image over organelles, and label them with the organelle names and definitions or important information. It even gives you the ability to attach video links. It is super easy to use! You just can't go wrong with this tool!

Voice thread was another great tool utilized in this unit. It allows students to get interactive and promotes collaboration. The quality of the sound and video on this site is really good. It encourages the use of audio and video to express knowledge, creativity, and understanding. IT was very easy to use and very user-friendly. It allows for you to begin, stop, erase, and restart recordings fairly easily. This tool can be used for online lectures, in-class demonstrations,  projects for students, and so much more.

Overall, my first learning unit introduced me to many new tools I have not previously heard of. I found my unit for a future 10th-grade Biology class to be very successful. Anyone looking to use these great tools, I recommend you provide sample projects as I did, and show them how to use the sites as well. Show them how to at least use the basic features as a starting point and let them build from there! Also, give students the necessary amount of time to complete the unit projects. There is a ton of creative things students can do if you give them the time to do it. The proper amount of time will allow students to use the tools efficiently and effectively. I look forward to incorporating these tools into future learning units!

Comments

  1. Hello,

    Thanks for sharing your Blog. I love Thinglink as well but I recently got an email that they are not offering it free anymore which upsets me and other teachers in our building so we are hoping to ask our principal about the paid version. I liked Voicethread as well. And, I've never heard of Easel so I will definitely have to check out that website.

    Thanks,
    Nick

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment